Thursday, April 14, 2011

April 5, 2011 - First Week in Soda Springs


i love serving here in soda springs, ID. the first day i was here we went to visit a bishop outside of town. after driving on a dirt road for 20min we came to his house (ranch). it was really muddy that day and bishop Harris looked at me and said "elder don't come back unless you got boots and a work coat, your going to get sh*t all over your church clothes." that night i went to a local farming store and bought some boots and a car-hart coat. since then we've gotten to work on bishops ranch twice. i guess the missionaries work for him twice a week in the mornings. it was a lot of fun though. he had us throwing 1ton hay bales with a pitch fork to his 400 head of cattle. definitely not the easiest thing Ive done. its one bale for every 100. this week he's supposed to be bringing back 1600 more from malta, id. i love it out there. next month he's invite the whole zone out with the local football team to help him brand all the baby calves. yesterday morning we were helping find any calves that the mothers had hid in bushes and sage brush. we found one little guy half frozen to death in the pictures that's who im holding. his whole body was covered in snow and frost and couldn't even stand up so we had to carry him back. he was a heavy little guy. the other picture is from the top of bishop harris's ranch looking over our area. a frozen tundra right? its not to bad if you have a thick coat in. in the picture with the calf it was 18 degrees but with the wind chill bishop said it was hovering around the single digits. my cheeks were pretty cold. but i did get to go to all of saturday conference. we sat four rows from the front on the right hand side. it was the closest ive even been to Thomas S. Monson. i really enjoyed Elder Oaks talk on desire. ill link the video: http://lds.org/general-conference/watch/2011/04?lang=eng&vid=880291640001&cid=11 i really enjoyed what he said at the beginning of his talk. "he said desires dictate our priorities. priorities shape our choices and choices determine our actions." when he said that i thought what do i really desire, i said to myself serving the lord..... then the holy ghost whispered to me go deeper. and a scripture in alma 29: 1-8 popped into my mind: 1. O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the atrump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! 2. Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and acome unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. 3. But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me. 4. I ought not to harrow up in my desires the firm decree of a just God, for I know that he granteth unto men according to their adesire, whether it be unto death or unto life; yea, I know that he allotteth unto men, yea, decreeth unto them decrees which are unalterable, according to their bwills, whether they be unto salvation or unto destruction. 5. Yea, and I know that good and evil have come before all men; he that knoweth not good from evil is ablameless; but he that bknoweth good and evil, to him it is given according to his desires, whether he desireth good or evil, life or death, joy or remorse of cconscience. 6. Now, seeing that I know these things, why should I desire more than to aperform the work to which I have been called? 7. Why should I desire that I were an angel, that I could speak unto all the ends of the earth? 8. For behold, the Lord doth agrant unto ball nations, of their own nation and ctongue, to teach his word, yea, in wisdom, all that he dseeth fit that they should have; therefore we see that the Lord doth counsel in wisdom, according to that which is just and true.theses scriptures go really well with elder oaks talk. like my desires are good..... but i should desire to declare repentance to the ends of the earth. that translated and humbled me that i should be running from home to home declaring unto everyone of the restoration. thats something we should all be doing or at least having a missionary mindset all the time. but im doing good i really like my new companion Elder Pickett. we actually have a baptism today at 6:30pm ill be sure to take pictures for you guyslove, -- Elder Tyler Herring4380 So. Orchard AveSouth Ogden, UT 84403

No comments:

Post a Comment